Friday, May 11, 2012

Vintage Dining Set & A New Baby Girl

Hello everyone! Hope you are having a wonderful day.  I just returned from Canton, Texas, First Monday Trade Days and boy was it hot! Saturday was the worse day but I did find several items I’ll be re-furbishing and sharing in the next few weeks.
My first find is my favorite! A new baby girl! Yes! It’s a girl! I named her Chica.

chica

Have you ever tried to take a picture of a wiggling puppy?! Not easy. LOL Anyway she weighs in at a whopping one-half pound and just loves her new Mommy.

chica1

My schnauzer doesn’t know quite what to do with her. I think Bo believes she is a nuisance more than anything else.
Anyhoo, I just wanted to share the new addition to my family.  Now on to the dining set.
Here’s the before.

tablebefore2

And here is the after.

finished

The table I picked up at an antique shop and the chairs are a mixed lot that I have found at estate sales.
I want to share a little about the table as it is quite different than any I had seen before and the lady I bought it from thought it was broken.  The top of the table lifts up and off and you draw the ends out to extend it to seat six people.


tablebefore

Which is not really so different. It is the fact that the bottom of the center piece has pegs that fit into holes located in the bottom on the extensions.

tablepegs

centertable copy

Have any of you ever seen a table made like this? Anyway, I thought it was rather different.
I started refinishing the table by stripping off all the veneer. It had bubbled up and several large pieces had come off.  Sorry I did not think to take a picture before I stripped it and sanded it down.
After that was done and I had cleaned the table thoroughly I painted it with Annie Sloan’s “Coco” which is a brownish gray and a great base color.


tablecoco


Once that was dry I started dry brushing the table with “Pure White” chalk paint. Slowly adding layers of paint to achieve a time worn look.


tabledrybrush



closepaint

I then applied a coat of clear soft wax and then gave the whole table a good sanding removing more of the chalk paint.
closeupside

I may even go back and give it another good sanding as I really like that chipping, worn look.

The chairs were stained brown with a lacquer finish. I gave them a light sanding and cleaned them thoroughly.  I then took “Louis Blue” chalk paint and added “Pure White” to it using three parts blue to one part white.

chair

After the paint had dried I waxed them with clear wax and distressed them.  I just love this color so soft and pretty and it looks so good with my gray and white walls and my “Louis Blue” and white buffet.


chair2


tableclose

finished1

I hope you are inspired by my little dining set and would love to hear from you.  Please feel free to Pin any of my pictures. Princess

Until next time,

17 comments:

EllenaElizabeth said...

Lovely work. Love the soft colours.

Maureen Hayes said...

Okay first we have to talk about Chica, what a cute face! please give more details about how you got her! And the table, OMG, gorgeousness!! I pinned it and tweeted it. Your work is lovely beyond words!!! Look for my tweet @Beingillisapill.

Have a great weekend and enjoy Chica,
Maureen

RaNae @EweCreekCottage said...

Congrats on Chica please come visit my National Pet Week Post and introduce Chica via the Party Button which will take you to House On Bluebird Lane she is hosting the party
http://ewecreekcottage.blogspot.com/2012/05/doggie-girls.html

Chica is adorable btw

Love your kitchen redo
We live in North Fort Worth6 years now but haven't been to Canton yet gotta get there!!

Heaven's Walk said...

Looks like your sweet little, adorable Chic could fit into your sugar bowl on your GORGEOUS table, Peggy! What a beautiful job you did on it! Love the layering and distressing! I think I need to buy some Louis Blue..... :)

xoxo laurie

Perfectly Printed said...

The table set is lovely.. And your new dog, just darling!!

I am a new follower!
chris

Janel from NellieBellie said...

what a beautiful set!! That table is lovely and so unique! Great job!

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Cute, cute Chica! Your dining set is beautiful. Love that shade of blue!

Kristine @ Lovely Again by Kris said...

The pup is adorable and the table is freakin' gorgeous! Thanks for sharing both! :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful table, you did a wonderful job refinishing! I'm now a follower!

Chrissy said...

This is beautiful! You did an awesome job, I love the color! I found you through The Grant Life and I am a new follower. :)

Kim Gillian said...

I LOVE Chica! I partial to chihuahuas! Your table turned out great!

The Thriftiness Miss said...

I love love love those flowers next to that glass.. It's gorgeous!

Cassie Bustamante said...

beautiful job! the blue is gorgeous on the chairs- so pretty all together!

Allyson McGuire said...

Visiting from Classy Clutter...this looks incredible!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

What a pretty makeover! And that table is really unique!

Heather said...

My diningroom table has the exact same pegs on the underside to hold it in place! It also has two leaves one on each side that slide out and into position. It has a different top shape but the same mechanics.

gibbygoo56 said...

Chica is so adorable! Sweet baby girl! I Love Love Love her!

Total Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...