Monday, August 22, 2011

Chest Deep In Trouble

As I mentioned on Facebook today I bet a lot of you were wondering why it was taking me so long to finish this chest of drawers.  Well I started the whole project in the wrong way as I had just bought a complete estate of furniture and was in a hurry to get started on it and didn't take time to consider how I wanted the chest to look when I finished.  


I always take time to sort of let a piece of furniture talk to me in a way, sometimes I'll even put a piece aside until a clear picture of the finished piece comes to me.  I didn't do that with this chest and it was a big mistake!


I ended up painting the chest twice! I first painted it plain "Paris Gray" which is a lovely color but it didn't have that soft look I like to achieve so next I applied a wash of "old white" and it ended up looking like a bad paint job. :-( 


Finally I wised up and just quit working on it and just debated  on what I wanted to do with it overnight.  Then inspiration hit and today I painted it again with a wash of "Paris Gray". Yeah, I love it!


The wash of gray let a little of the white come through giving it a softer appearance that I love and I hope you will also.  Here's the before picture.




It didn't look to bad but really was just ordinary and who wants ordinary in their homes? Not me!


I painted the handles twice also, the first time black, which my husband liked best, but they seemed too harsh for the piece  so I painted them with "Old White" chalk paint and he agreed they really looked good.




Here are the drawers painted first in a coat of "Paris Gray" chalk paint.




Then washed with "Old White".




The top I stripped and stained with "Dark Walnut" stain.




I then applied a wash of "Paris Gray" and the insides of the drawers I painted with three coats of a lovely buttery yellow. I love to paint the drawers or inside of a piece to give my customers a clean, lovely surprise when they open them.




I then applied two coats of a clear wax to protect and age the piece and here is the final product.




Notice the variation in depth of color with occasional touches of the white showing through.  




I hope you think it was worth the wait and would love to hear your thoughts on the finished product.  I will be painting the matching dresser next and hope to sell them as a set. Thanks for stopping by.

10 comments:

Suzie @ The Accent Piece said...

What a great find. I love the white handles.
I'm your newest follower!

WhyCuzICan said...

She's a lovely piece. You knew the look you wanted and worked at it until you achieved it :)

Visiting from Miss Mustard Seed's Linky Party tonight.

~Suzanne from NW IL
(BTW, I'm a Suzi too like the lst poster- just slightly different spelling) LOL

Sherry Hicks said...

It is a beautiful Piece!
Sherry

Kristi Campbell Coles said...

Awesome!!! I'm new here and still taking a look around...so far I just LOVE your style!! Okay, back to looking around! :)

PJH Designs said...

Thanks everyone glad you like it. :-)

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Just lovely! The yellow inside is fun.

Deana said...

great job! that looks beautiful. love the color.

savvycityfarmer said...

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

a girl after my own heart

Joselyn @ The DIY Spot said...

Great transformation!

clustres said...

Love it!

Total Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...