Saturday, July 23, 2011

Everything Old is New Again

For those of you clicking over from The Graphics Fairy to view my logo I created it using the free software Picnik.

Remember this?




After much work and a lot of sweat (I had to work outside in over 100 degree heat!) here is the finished project.










Gorgeous Art Deco vanity isn't it?


Now here's how I did it.  First I stripped off all the veneer that was left on it some of it two layers deep because part of it had come off two layers deep.  Then I proceeded to sand down the entire piece.  Most of the onlays were broken or totally missing so I went to Lowe's and picked out a few different wood appliques and cut them apart to get the look I wanted and applied them to the vanity. 


Next I painted it with Old White chalk paint.  It took three coats because I didn't use a primer.  In hindsight I should have applied a primer as the wood was so dry and just soaked that paint right up.  In case you don't know it is not necessary to use primer with chalk paint which is one of the reasons I love it so much. I then applied a coat of wax after which I distressed the vanity in the areas that would naturally be worn from use.  I then applied another coat of wax and buffed.  


I decided to paint the handles the same color as the vanity after first leaving them the way they were and not really liking how they looked. After I finished my granddaughter said, "Oh Nonnie, it looks just like a wedding cake!" I just love how it turned out and seriously considered keeping it but ended up putting in my booth at King's Antique Mall. 


Any questions?  Feel free to contact me to get more details I'll be glad to share.  I hope this inspires you to go out and paint something for your home.


I've entered this vanity in the following linky parties.




9 comments:

Cynthia said...

This is gorgeous! I don't blame you for considering keeping it!

PJH Designs said...

Thanks Cynthia it was a lot of work but very satisfying in the end.

Maureen said...

It looks fabulous!

I did a similar one this winter and it had veneer issues to the point that I wanted to roll it out into the middle of the street and leave it there! It ended up selling in a little over a week. As a matter of fact, I have another one in my car right now - ready to go in the shop. I added appliques to this one and it added just what it needed! I'll have to post about it.

Jenny@thelavendermagnolia said...

I haven't seen a vanity like that before. It totally looks like a wedding cake! LOVE it!

Michele said...

How did you strip the veneer? I have a vanity right now with chippning veneer that I can't get off. I've tried water, heat, iron. It sucks! Any secrets?

PJH Designs said...

Hi Michele, yes you are on the right track a towel and a steam iron lots of steam. As a matter of fact I would saturate an old towel lay it over veneer and apply the iron then use a spatula to help pull it off. Be sure to use an old towel & an iron you don't mind messing up. Good luck.

Cassie Bustamante said...

it looks beautiful! i love all those unique details!

andrea@townandprairie said...

Beautiful work, just my style. I love waterfall art deco pieces! They are so much prettier in white, I think. I found you at Primitive and Proper and I'm signing on as a new follower. Hopefully you will have some time to stop by! Regards, andrea@townandprairie

Athena said...

This is so pretty. I love it. Thanks for linking to Success U @ TheStuffofSucces.com

Total Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...